The Summer Activity Schemes for Special School pupils take place during July and August at the Board's five Special Schools - Ceara (Lurgan), Donard (Banbridge), Lisanally (Armagh), Rathore (Newry) and Sperrinview (Dungannon). These summer schemes are for pupils enrolled in the Special Schools and many participate.
The aim of each scheme is to provide opportunities for the children and young people aged 5-19 years who have severe of profound multiple learning difficulties/disabilities, to enjoy experiences within a safe and familiar environment which are similar to those enjoyed by their peer groups in mainstream schools.
Each scheme strives to meet the following objectives:
- To provide stimulating and enjoyable activities and experiences
- To enable children/young people to apply their knowledge and skills outside the formal school setting
- To develop their independence, self-confidence and self-esteem by participating in a range of informal activities
- To minimise the loss of skills and knowledge which may result from the long holiday
- To enable all participants to keep in touch with friends and peers
- To widen the opportunities of interaction for the children/young people participating in the schemes by employing at least 50% of staff from outside the Special School environment