The SEN School Support Service provides support and advice to schools on general aspects of Special Educational needs regarding the implementation of the Code of Practice and the Southern Education and Library Board's Special Educational Needs Policy. It supports SENCOs in their role in school and facilitates a range of school and centre based training on SEN.
Advice and Support for Special Education Needs
Direct advice and support for Special Education Needs can be provided in the following areas:
- Management & Administration of Special Educational Needs in School
- SEN Preparation for and/or follow up from ETI inspections
- Role Of SENCO
- The Education Plan Process
- Quality Indicators for SENCo's (TTI)
- Policy for Special Educational Needs and Inclusion
- Good Practice Guidelines for Special Educational Needs
- Effective Management of Classroom Assistants
- ICT Programmes
Schools should request support using the LSS1 Form or by contacting the service for further information.
Further support for SENCos can be found on the Clounagh VLE site under SEN School Support using the link http://clounagh.org
The service primarily provides capacity building to schools. Principals, SENCos, teachers and classroom assistants across all sectors, post primary, primary, nursery, special schools and LSCs can attend training, both centre and/or school based. The training for schools can be accessed by two clear routes:
Moving and Handling Children with SEN
The service is also responsible for coordinating and providing training on Moving and Handling children with Special Education Needs. This training is available in September, January, June in the SELB.