The Safeguarding Board for Northern Ireland (SBNI) has commissioned Applied Theatre specialists AlterEgo Creative Solutions to schools with ‘Chelsea’s Choice’.
The play - which has been seen by over 200,000 young people around the UK - tells the story of a girl called Chelsea, who having fallen out with her friends and family, was approached by a man called Gary. Gary was older, owned a car, had a flat and treated her like an adult. Unfortunately Gary was not what he seemed to be! Chelsea’s story is played out and examined by the three students along with their teacher in an attempt to understand what happened to Chelsea and how it could have been prevented.
The 40 minute play and post-show question and answer sessions have proven highly effective in raising awareness of:
- Healthy Relationships
- Safe Internet Use
- Risky Behaviour
- The Grooming Process
- Child Sexual Exploitation
- Where young people, parents and professionals can go for help and advice
SBNI is working with Parenting NI to provide a performance of the play for parents and carers. The performances for parents, professionals and people who work with children and young people are as follows:
- Tuesday 21st April – Belfast City Hall, doors open from 6:30pm
- Monday 27th April – Antrim Board Centre, Antrim, doors open from 6:30pm
- Thursday 30th April –Clooney Hall, Derry-Londonderry, doors open from 6:30pm
- Tuesday 5th May – Market House, Ballynahinch, doors open from 6:30pm
To book a place at one of the performances please contact Heather Canning from Parenting NI, email@example.com, 028 9031 0891.